Thursday, December 06, 2007

Late Night December Rain Thoughts

We're having wetness here in SF today. A welcome wetness. A good December rain. I find November rains to be more melancholy and songworthy, myself.

I am also in the middle of a slew of corporate performance gigs that require me to retain specific information in my brain about a particular business and its culture and translate their lingo into brilliant topical comedy. It is always my goal in these gigs to create jokes that would only be funny to the specific group of people I am performing for. It is a challenge and strangely satisfying.

Tree purchasing has been scheduled for tomorrow in our household. Discussions are under way as to where to put the coatrack to make way for the Douglas Fir killed in it's early pubescence. I don't feel too bad for the tree. Especially in San Francisco where all dead trees have a future life as city mulch! Yay!! What would they call an organization for the ethical treatment of trees? Teta? Oh haha.

Has anyone seen the documentary about the Peta founder on HBO? Interesting. A weird thing to watch before going out for a drink.

I partied with nurses on Tuesday. Raucous fun. Lots of Rye Manhattans.

I bought a pair of Lucky Jeans recently. Very comfy. I'm worried about their stretching reputation, but I appreciate their softness and nice butt shaping.

I sometimes write in a Starbucks nearby. The main reasons I write there are that the furniture is well suited to work and that you have to pay for the Internet access (meaning I won't have Internet access which is a good thing for productivity). However my trip today may be the last for December due to the unfortunate onslaught of Holiday Starbucks tunes on constant rotation (and for purchase on your iPhone). Whatever happened to the Starbucks concept that it was a place to escape?

We hosted some Canadians and their Strong Canadian Dollars in our apartment over the weekend. Canadians make good house guests. They were paying half price for stuff here than what they pay in Canada. The drained Shoe Biz's entire stock of brightly colored sneaks. Good people. We're coming to the 'Couver, we promise!

Am writing like crazy these days. Writing sometimes feels like a battle against the world and myself at the same time, and other times it feels OK. First drafts are evil terrible compelling little beasts. I will never have a baby but I've had bad poops and writing feels like a big bad poop that lasts 9 months. And you're just pushing and pushing, occasionally taking breaks and lamenting how little progress all the pushing has made. Sometimes when I'm writing well, it doesn't feel like it's me that's writing. Does anyone else get that?

OK now you're all caught up.

6 Comments:

Blogger tim said...

I'm going through the exact same thing! Partying with nurses and wearing Lucky Jeans....

No, I'm in the midst of a first draft and having the same shock at how little comes out after writing and writing and writing. I'll spend six hours working and have two pages. Then one day, it will seem to write itself for awhile, and all is right with the world.

I hate first drafts.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good to know we're not alone in our masochistic career tendencies. It's all worth it, eventually. right?

9:41 AM  
Blogger gsmoss said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:42 PM  
Blogger gsmoss said...

God let's fucking hope so. I'm supposed to be on vacation, and instead am writing three different things...I sometimes come to your blog just to read that paragraph about writing = bad pooping so as to feel like I'm not alone in the world...

4:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for commenting on this, Greg. Especially today which was one of the more challenging days for me. I spent more time starting at the screen and scrolling than thinking of new words. I did manage to get a good Humpack Whale reference the day wasn't a total bust. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. But a big storm is coming which might be more interesting.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

that would be Humpback, by the way. Not humpack

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home