Monday, November 26, 2007

Pop Culture Roundup

I'm writing this while the newest episode of "The Hills" is playing (AUDRINA, DO NOT GET IN THE FUCKING CAR WITH JUSTIN! OH JESUS SHE JUST GOT IN THE CAR WITH JUSTIN!!):

MTV's bisexual dating show A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila may be the best new reality show on television. While it is structured in a traditional "win the date with the quasi-celebrity" model (a la Bachelor/I Love New York) the major twist is that, as mentioned, Tila Tequila is bisexual and there are straight male and gay female contestants battling each other for Tila's love. If you don't know who Tila Tequila is and why she is starring in her own reality show, I can't help you answer this question because I have no idea either, though apparently Myspace plays a factor.

And, well, that's about all that's new and different about the show. But the drama is INTENSE. Emotions are high. Elimination ceremonies are drenched in tears by everyone, one on one "dates" are infiltrated by immature posturing, and some serious near violence has taken place including a guy almost rubbing frosting with a butter knife with the look of murder and evil in his eyes, and one jaw dropping, shrieking weep-filled hair-pull-fight that led two contestant to pull out of the show completely. The show is trash trash trash, but the contestants are strangely more real and vulnerable or not made for TV than I've seen in a while. It's as though the show is more real to the contestants than it feels to the audience.

Anyhoo, it's an interesting nasty awful piece of television that makes you feel dirty for watching. I feel dirty for writing about it. Dirty but alive!

[While writing about Tila Tequila, Audrina from the Hills broke it off with Justin for good. YOU GO GIRL!]


Miscellany:
  • Has everyone heard the M.I.A. song with the gunshot and money samples? Awesome!
  • I'm also enjoying the new Jens Lenkman.
  • I still have yet to get into or see Friday Night Lights but I believe the hype.
  • Wasn't so wild about Margot at the Wedding
  • I've recently been getting unnaturally obsessed with frequent flier miles.
  • Do they keep making "The Hills" or is the season going to stop?
  • I have the sneaking suspicion that Facebook is selling my personal information. I am not a fan of the other types of "Walls," nor "Superpoke." I am enjoying Facebook in general. It's what Friendster should have been. But, am I still going to be using it in a year?

3 Comments:

Blogger jay harlow said...

YES the mia song rules. also, the lily allen song LDN. i put those on back to back all the time. maybe now.

11:39 AM  
Blogger jay harlow said...

also, yeah, facebook IS selling your info. they just launched an ad platform a couple weeks ago. i put up a post about it on facebook.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

good to know on both tips, jay! I'm excited to see what Facebook is going to try and sell me

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home