Monday, April 02, 2007

i had a nice time in louisville

And not only because of the supremely awesome obvious reason.

Some highlights, and thoughts:
  • It's like the best theater party ever (in America): I attended on "Special Visitors Weekend" and it lived up to all three of those words. "Special" in the sense that in one weekend I got to see eight (plus) World Premiere productions of American plays both long and short and that alone was a shot in the arm. "Visitor" in the sense that there were people from all over the country present to research, enjoy or criticize the work. "Weekend" in the sense that it was Friday through Sunday. In between the shows I got to meet a wild array of interesting people, many of whom had name tags on and we did much dining and partying and talking and I watched a lot of people smoke. I put in the parentheses (in America) because I get the sense that Edinburgh is off the hook.
  • The plays: Pretty darn great stuff. Particularly affecting for me was Dark Play which knocked my pants off, gripping scary sexy real yet out of this world, fascinating, heartbreaking and also very funny. It hit all the spots of me and I hope it gets done in many places, especially here. And I loved Batch: a combo bachelor/bachelorette party/boxing match/movement/hilarious and scary tribute to the night before a marriage. Phalluses and even one real penis that was live on stage and yet obscured so you had to see it on the surrounding video screens. Great ensemble and amazing use of a trap door.
  • Bourbon: It was like a homecoming, the sour mash being my brown liquor of choice (either on the rocks or named after my second favorite city). I can't really say whether the Maker's Mark tasted more fresh in Kentucky, but they do have their own restaurant, where I had Bourbon Balls, a phenomenal chocolatey and bourbouny dessert that I promised everyone I would buy for them during my speech. Only a few people held me to that offer, fortunately (They're in the mail).
  • Good T Shirt - I bought Mark a t-shirt at the airport that says "I heart KY!" Which makes sense, but in San Francisco means something entirely different.
more thoughts later

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely Fantastic!!!!

Congratulations, Peter. You so deserve all the wonderful awards that are being heaped on you right now. Can't wait to see what you produce next.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! Holy crap!

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get it... are the bourbon balls filled with whiskey or just dipped and coated with residue?

4:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

they were filled with some sort of bourbonoy marzipan is my guess. It was a solid filling.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home