Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Bob - The Outtakes - Wayne and Alice

This was an elderly couple that BOB met at the rest stop in the first draft. In the current version, they have been reduced to one line, but I really found them charming.


(WAYNE and ALICE, an older couple, retirees?)

WAYNE
We’ve been trafficking the southern illegals for fifteen years now.

ALICE
Sixteen.

WAYNE
Since I got laid off from the company.

ALICE
He was squeezed out. They were afraid of him.

WAYNE
But then we found this trafficking job. Cocaine and people. A bench on each side of our van, cocaine inside in the bench, people sitting on top of the bench, and then thousands of party hats and a bribe to cover them through inspection.

ALICE
It gets very hot back there. I come through every four hours to make sure everyone’s ok.

WAYNE
We’re s’posed to drop everything off at a single place. Usually in Indiana. The cocaine goes into another van. And the people, well I just thought they were free to go. I think I was wrong.

ALICE
We were both wrong.

WAYNE
I thought I was helping people start a new life in a land of promise, and at the same time helping others feel energetic for twenty minutes while they danced or just didn’t want to go home or have their normal feelings for an evening.

ALICE
I could feel fear in them when I went back there. Like you might have half way down an icy hill in an innertube with no exit strategy.

WAYNE
I was so upset. We’ve been doing this for fifteen-

ALICE
Sixteen.

WAYNE
Sixteen years. Sixteen years of sending people to almost certain doom.

ALICE
They get out of that truck with targets on their back. So were not going to do that this time.

WAYNE
This time we’re doing it different.

ALICE
We’re not taking them to Indiana.

WAYNE
We’re taking them to Denver. We’re giving them each a hundred dollars from my savings and a couple pounds of cocaine to get them started in this new world.

ALICE
Give them a chance to get ahead before they fall behind.

ALICE
We’re going to stick around and teach some rudimentary English.

WAYNE
And maybe I’ll learn to speak Spanish.

ALICE
Pray for us.

WAYNE
I love you, Alice.

ALICE
I love you too, Wayne.

WAYNE
You make me want to always do the right thing.




Maybe see you in another play, Wayne and Alice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home